Skip to main content

You’re admitted! Now what?

Congratulations on your admission to New Mexico State University! As an admitted student, you are on your way to becoming a member of the Aggie family.

Now that you’re admitted, you will begin receiving information about housing, financial aid and scholarships, orientation, and more. Check your mail and email regularly to make sure you don’t miss anything. Don’t worry, we’ve made the process as easy as possible.

Important Dates for Students Starting in 2022

October 1, 2021 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) opens
October 1, 2021 Scholar Dollar$ (NMSU scholarship application) opens
December 1, 2021 Aggie Welcome and Orientation (summer orientation sessions) reservations open
January 12, 2022 Spring 2022 semester begins
March 1, 2022 FAFSA  priority deadline
March 1, 2022 Scholar Dollar$ priority deadline
May 26, 2022 Summer 2022 semester begins
August 17, 2022 Fall 2022 semester begins

Make sure to review all the important dates and deadlines for the semester in which you will begin.

Next Steps

Electronic copies can be emailed to:

Mailed copies should be addressed to:

NMSU Undergraduate Admissions
PO Box 30001, MSC 3A
Las Cruces, NM 88003

Electronic copies can be emailed to

Mailed copies should be addressed to:

NMSU Undergraduate Admissions
PO Box 30001, MSC 3A
Las Cruces, NM 88003

  • Create your myNMSU account and start checking your NMSU email regularly.
  • File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Apply for scholarships through Scholar Dollar$.
  • Sign Up for Orientation (academic advising and course registration will be included in your orientation program)
  • Contact Military and Veterans Programs if you need assistance on VA educational benefits or state/federal Tuition Assistance (TA).
  • Submit your test scores. Official ACT or SAT scores are not required for admission or scholarship eligibility for 2022. However, if you have taken one of these tests, it can be beneficial for you to have them on file. They will be used for Math and English placement when you enroll. NMSU’s ACT code is 2638 and SAT code is 4531.
  • Send us your final transcripts. Once you have graduated, have your high school send NMSU your final high school transcript. If you are a transfer student, you must request official college transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Official transcripts can be emailed to or mailed to:

NMSU Undergraduate Admissions
PO Box 30001, MSC 3A
Las Cruces, NM 88003

  • Meet your advisor. Every undergraduate student has an assigned academic advisor with the Center for Academic Advising and Student Support to help them through their academic journey.

Additional information can be found on the Steps After Admission page on the International Students and Scholar Services website.

  • Create your myNMSU account and start checking your NMSU email regularly. Contact the Help Desk if you have need assistance: 575-646-1840 or
  • You are not required to go through orientation or meet with an academic advisor. Information on how to register for classes and the registration schedule by student classification are provided through University Student Records. If the course(s) you are trying to register for have pre-requisites, you may need assistance with registration as college credits from other universities will not be transferred into our system. If this is the case, please reach out to the instructor of the course for assistance.
  • Note: Non-Degree Seeking Students are not eligible for the following: financial aid, institutional scholarships, VA educational benefits or state/federal Tuition Assistance, athletics, ASNMSU, and student employment through NMSU.
  • Note: Students planning to use the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver must submit the Application for Senior Citizen Reduced Tuition Program to University Student Records who will register you for your course(s) on or after the first day of the semester. Students who register for classes prior to the first day of the semester will be assessed full tuition rates.

Frequently Asked Questions

NMSU provides college credit for qualifying Advanced Placement exam scores. You will only receive credit for the course if you take the exam. Most subjects require a score of 3, 4 or 5. You will need to request your official scores to be sent to NMSU directly from College Board.
If you have taken college courses outside of the NMSU system, you are required to send in official college transcripts from each institution you have attended. You will request official transcripts to be sent to NMSU Undergraduate Admissions. Once we receive your official transcripts it will be evaluated for transfer credit.
To create your myNMSU account, you will need your Aggie ID number or social security number to get started. If you have problems creating your account, or need assistance resetting your password, contact the ICT Help Desk at 575-646-1840 or at
Simply select your intended major on your Aggie Welcome and Orientation reservation and we will automatically make any changes to your major from your application for admission.
Yes. Orientation is an important step in your transition to NMSU. All new, incoming freshmen and transfer students must complete orientation before registering for classes. Orientation will provide the tools and information to make your transition to NMSU as easy as possible.

Not only will you learn more about NMSU and the resources available here, but you will also meet new friends and discover that NMSU is a supportive and caring community. See the Aggie Welcome and Orientation website for more information.

First-time, full-time undergraduate students admitted to the Las Cruces campus will be required to live in a university-operated residence hall for the first academic year, or two semesters.

Research has shown when students live on campus, they gain many more benefits and rewards than those living off campus. Students who live on campus are more likely to:

  • Connect with campus services
  • Participate in extracurricular activities and events
  • Perform better academically and typically receive a higher first-semester GPA
  • Continue to their second year in college and graduate in four years
  • Create bonds with faculty and other students that extend past graduation
  • Explore a wider range of ideas by engaging with diverse people and cultures
  • Develop stronger interpersonal and communication skills

However, you may complete a residency exemption form (along with supporting documentation) if your situation fits within the listed exemptions and the request will be reviewed. For more information, see the First-Year Residential Experience (FYRE) & Residency Requirement web page.