Skip to main content

Transfer Students

Transfer admission requirements

  • Application for admission and official college transcripts or e-transcripts mailed directly from each college or university attended.
  • At least a 2.0 cumulative GPA in your college courses and 30 completed credit hours.
  • Must be eligible to return to your last college or university.

If you have fewer than 30 completed college credit hours, you must fulfill the First Time Freshmen admission requirements and have at least a 2.5 overall college GPA.

Transitioning from an NMSU community college

If you are a current student enrolled at one of NMSU’s community college campuses (NMSU-Alamogordo, NMSU-Carlsbad, NMSU – Doña Ana, or NMSU-Grants) and would like to transition to the NMSU-Las Cruces campus, see our NMSU Community College Transition page.

Transfer student scholarships

To learn more about scholarship opportunities for transfer students, see Financial Aid and Scholarship Services.

NMSU’s Transfer Center

Admissions advisors in the Transfer Center specialize in assisting transfer students with admissions, financial aid and scholarships, transcript evaluation, degree audits, connecting students to their academic advisors, course registration, housing, and more.

The Transfer Center is located in Suite 101 inside the Educational Services Building on the NMSU-Las Cruces campus.

For more information about the transfer process, or to schedule an appointment with an advisor contact us at 575-646-8011 or

How your credits transfer

NMSU understands the importance of getting all the facts before making a decision on where to complete your degree.  The steps below outline how credits transfer to NMSU.

Understand NMSU’s general transfer rules

  • NMSU accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities.
  • Credits earned at community/junior colleges and universities are always transferred at the lower division level.
  • Credits earned at a four-year institution are transferred at both the lower and upper division credit, depending on what level the original course was taught.

Transfer military credits to NMSU

NMSU is a military and veteran friendly university. Find out about how military credits transfer to NMSU and additional resources available through the NMSU Military and Veterans Program.

Determine how your credits will transfer

You can use the following Transfer Course Equivalency Search tool to help you determine how your credits will transfer to NMSU.

Transfer Course Equivalency Search

Your transcripts will be officially evaluated when you apply for admission to NMSU. If admitted, you will receive a transfer evaluation that shows how your credits will transfer to NMSU and how they will fit into our graduation requirements.

The Transfer Course Equivalency Search tool serves as a general guide in evaluation of any courses. Transferability and applicability of any given course is not guaranteed until evaluated upon application. Specific course equivalencies require review based upon the unique characteristics of each college and university and may differ from one institution to another. Please contact the respective NMSU academic department for specific degree requirement.

NMSU reserves the right to modify these course equivalencies at any time based on curriculum changes and program requirements.

Engineering Technology and Surveying Engineering Articulation Agreements

The NMSU Department of Engineering Technology and Surveying Engineering (ETSE) also has articulation agreements that define which courses a student can take from another institution that will transfer into ETSE programs. See the ETSE Transfer Student Information page for a list of those agreements.