Readmission and Non-degree


Former students of NMSU who have been out of school for more than two consecutive terms are required to make formal application for readmission. Applications should be submitted to Undergraduate Admissions and Orientation at least 30 days before the opening of the semester or summer session for which you wish to enroll.

A student who has attended other institutions during an absence must have official transcripts forwarded directly to Undergraduate Admissions and Orientation by the registrar of each institution and must be eligible to return to the college or university last attended. Transcripts must be received prior to the date of registration.

Admission status at the time of readmission will normally be determined by previous NMSU academic standing. However, academic performance at other institutions attended during the applicant’s absence from NMSU may be taken into consideration in determining the student’s admission status.


Non-degree admission is designed to meet the needs of students who do not wish to pursue a degree. Students considering non-degree status should be aware of the following:

  • Non-degree students may not transfer more than 30 credits from this status to any undergraduate degree-seeking program, or more than nine credits to a graduate degree-seeking program.
  • Non-degree students are not eligible to receive financial aid or student employment.
  • Non-degree students are not eligible to participate in student government or intercollegiate athletics.
  • Non-degree students are not eligible to receive benefits from any veterans’ program.
  • Transcripts from previous institutions, high school, and/or results of college entrance exams may be required to assure readiness for university-level courses.

Students interested in using non-degree credit for initial teacher certification or recertification in a new field will be admitted to the College of Health, Education and Social Transformation.

Other Admissions Processes

Military and Veteran Students applying as undergraduates should start here, but additional assistance is available through NMSU's Military and Veterans Programs.

Graduate Students should start with the Graduate School.

International Students should should start with International Student and Scholar Services.